The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health is pleased to announce the reissue of an exciting Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA):
• Clinical Trials or Observational Studies of Behavioral Interventions for Prevention of Opioid Use Disorder or Adjunct to Medication Assisted Treatment-SAMHSA Opioid STR Grants (R21/R33) – see https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-AT-18-002.html.
The purpose of this FOA is to solicit applications to examine the impact of behavioral interventions within the context of states’ plans for use of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Opioid State Targeted Response (STR) grant funds authorized under the 21st Century Cures Act.
NCCIH encourages applications for studies that examine the impact of interventions such as mindfulness meditation, cognitive behavioral therapy, or multi-disciplinary rehabilitation for primary or secondary prevention for opioid use disorder (OUD) or as an adjunct to medication assisted treatment (MAT) of OUD. Applications that emphasize treatment of the comorbidity of OUD and chronic pain are of particular interest.
More information about this FOA:
- Projects must be designed to generate causal inferences on the effects of psychosocial approaches as an adjunct to MAT using FDA-approved medications for treatment of OUD; prevent development of OUD; or prevent OUD relapse to reduce: drug use and/or overdose deaths, length of time on medication, dropout, time to relapse, and at least one other physical or mental health or health-related outcome.
- Either clinical trials or observational study designs are permitted and may include randomized controlled explanatory trials, randomized controlled pragmatic trials, or other types of controlled designs employing statistical approaches that mitigate bias and support causal inferences.
- This FOA requires close collaboration with state officials who are coordinating the distribution of SAMHSA funds provided by the 21st Century Cures Act. Details on SAMHSA TI-17-014, State Targeted Response to the Opioid Crisis, are here: https://www.samhsa.gov/grants/grant-announcements/ti-17-014. Information about funded projects is available at: https://www.samhsa.gov/grants/awards/2017/TI-17-014.
- Application Due Date: January 18, 2018, by 5:00 PM local time of applicant organization. I hope you find this funding opportunity of interest. If you have any questions, please feel free tocontact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 301-435-6286. Sincerely,Robin E. Boineau, M.D., M.A.
National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health National Institutes of Health