The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and the College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD) support an International Travel Award for up to two substance abuse researchers from low-income, lower-middle-income, or upper middle-income countries (as defined by the World Bank) to participate in the NIDA International Forum (a satellite meeting of CPDD), the CPDD Annual Scientific Meeting, and associated research training activities.
- Be a substance abuse researcher from a low-income, lower-middle-income, or upper middle-income country who completed his or her doctoral degree or residency no more than 10 years ago.
- Conduct research on any aspect of substance use and substance use disorders.
- Have not received travel support from NIDA or CPDD between July 1 of the previous year and June 1 of the award year.
- Have not previously received the WHO/NIDA/CPDD International Traveling Fellowship or the CPDD International Travel Award in any prior year.
- Live and work outside the United States at the time of application and travel.
- Provide eligible abstracts submitted for both CPDD and the NIDA International Forum.
Applicants are required to submit an abstract to both the NIDA International Forum
and the CPDD Annual Scientific Meeting
using the two meetings’ separate online submission systems. Abstract submission for the two meetings usually opens in early November. Winners are not eligible for the CPDD best poster award for the NIDA International Forum in the award year. Priority will be given to applications by the first author on the abstract submitted, but the committee will consider competitive applications from qualified individuals who are the second author on the abstract submitted.
Note: CPDD requires that a CPDD member sponsor a research abstract submitted by a nonmember. The Chair of the CPDD International Committee, Dr. Francesca Filbey, has agreed to sponsor abstract submissions by international researchers who are not CPDD members and do not have a working relationship with a CPDD member in good standing willing to sponsor them.
Each Award Will Include:
- Up to a maximum of $2,000 for travel expenses (Registration confirmation can be submitted as part of the travel stipend.)
- Complimentary registration to the CPDD meeting for the 2 consecutive years following the award year.